The Overall Fire Picture - 2005
* There were 3,675 civilians that lost their lives as the result of fire.
* There were 17,925 civilian injuries that occurred as the result of fire.
* There were 115 firefighters killed while on duty.
* Fire killed more Americans than all natural disasters combined.
* 83 percent of all civilian fire deaths occurred in residences.
* 1.6 million fires were reported. Many others went unreported, causing additional injuries and property loss.
* Direct property loss due to fires was estimated at $10.7 billion.
* An estimated 31,500 intentionally set structure fires resulted in 315 civilian deaths.
* Intentionally set structure fires resulted in an estimated $664 million in property damage.
Source: National Fire Protection Association Fire Loss in the U.S. During 2005 and USFA's Firefighter Fatalities in the United States in 2005.